Sunday, November 9, 2008

Let's lead them down the right path...

...but sometimes it's so difficult. I'm a fun loving guy who likes to play pranks on my children, but sometimes it backfires and causes problems for my wife. Take for example this morning as we got ready for chuch. As I was dressing my children, I couldn't help but notice that my daughter's maroon and heavy material dress came with accessories. I thought it odd that a three year old would have a hoodie on a dress. It looked kind of monkish or clostic.
"But why does it have a hoodie?" I asked my wife as I inspected the dress and accessories hung on a hanger.
We had began the morning with me discussing reasons why I shouldn't be the one picking out the children's cloths.
"That's not a hoodie, it's panty covers."
Well, maybe it wasn't a hoodie, but it did kind of look like a barrett. Later as I dressed her, my imagination led me away to a place where my daughter would wear such a barrett.
"Here, Claire, let's put your barret on." I had just finished dressing here and began folding the "panty covers" into the form of a hat. Claire didn't resist as I lowered the waist band over her crown and flopped the rest of the "hat" to one side.
"Oh Claire, you are sooo beautiful. Go show mommy."
"Daddy, I am beautiful," she said to herself in the mirror. "Look at my hat mommy."
Kathleen shot me a look as if to say, "would you please what you tell the kids?"
Needless to say, we had a difficult time trying to convince our poor three year old that daddy was just playing and that no, she could not wear "panty covers" to church.

No comments: